Frank Catalano is a marketing and business strategy consultant for companies with digital learning initiatives in both the education and consumer technology markets. He is also an industry analyst, professional speaker and author.
Frank has provided creative and practical advice, and developed related strategies, for new initiatives on both a retained project and interim-executive basis. His Intrinsic Strategy consultancy clients have included Professional Examination Service, Apple, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, MetaMetrics, Corbis, Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door and the Toy Industry Association.
Frank Catalano’s latest analysis and writing on technology in and out of education:
- Can you count to $2 billion? Education technology investment hits new record And yet, edtech remains weird. (GeekWire)
- Paper is back: Why ‘real’ books are on the rebound Sales numbers and human factors mean paper and eBooks coexist. (GeekWire)
- Preserving the future: A rare glimpse inside the EMP Museum vault Conserving our visions of the future? Hard. (GeekWire)
- Amazon Echo in the house: Superior streaming speaker with so-so smarts Amazon’s gadget talks, and is reviewed. (GeekWire)
- Harnessing the power of information Why I considered quitting edtech in 2014, and why I stayed. (EdSurge)
- Scientific literacy: Buried under tech’s trappings Blame STEM hype, iPhone worship and geek culture. (GeekWire)
- Finding a good way to share really bad news on social media In a culture of over-sharing, how do you strike a balance? (GeekWire)
Advice and insights
Frank Catalano’s blog includes summaries of, and links to, his marketing, tech and edtech writing. His analysis and commentary also appears:
- in his GeekWire column (tech),
- in his LinkedIn posts (marketing), and,
- in earlier contributions to the NPR/KQED education news site MindShift, the edtech news site EdSurge, and the tech news site TechFlash.
He is on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu and served on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style. In 2015, he’s scheduled so far at:
- SXSWedu 2015, March 9-12, Austin, TX, on the panel, “Reinventing Industry: Changing Edu’s ‘Big Three‘”
And Frank will be attending:
- GeekWire Startup Day, January 30, Seattle, WA
- Ed Industry Summit (Educational Technology Industry Network of SIIA), May 3-5, San Francisco, CA
- ISTE 2015 (International Society for Technology in Education), June 28-July 1, Philadelphia, PA
Follow @FrankCatalano on Twitter for updates on interesting education and crossover consumer technology.