Frank Catalano is a marketing and business strategy consultant for companies with digital learning initiatives in both the education and consumer technology markets. He is also an industry analyst, professional speaker and author.
Frank has provided creative and practical advice, and developed related strategies, for new initiatives on both a retained project and interim-executive basis. His Intrinsic Strategy consultancy clients have included Professional Examination Service, Apple, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, MetaMetrics, Corbis, Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door and the Toy Industry Association.
Frank Catalano’s latest analysis and writing on technology in and out of education:
- Harnessing the power of information Why I considered quitting edtech in 2014, and why I stayed. (EdSurge)
- The geeky tech behind Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer The animated special turns 50 this holiday season. (GeekWire)
- Happy Holidays, it’s the Christmas Troll! Five tips for handling — not feeding — the scourge of social media. (GeekWire)
- How not to win an edtech award All that glitters is not so much when firms undermine their own entries. (EdSurge)
- Scientific literacy: Buried under tech’s trappings Blame STEM hype, iPhone worship and geek culture. (GeekWire)
- Finding a good way to share really bad news on social media In a culture of over-sharing, how do you strike a balance? (GeekWire)
- An opinionated field guide to industry education conferences SXSWedu. CiC. SIIA. GSV. EdNET. How does an entrepreneur or teacher navigate? (EdSurge)
Advice and insights
Frank Catalano’s blog includes posts on marketing strategy and branding as well as summaries of, and links to, his tech and edtech writing. His analysis and commentary also appears:
- in his GeekWire column (tech),
- in his LinkedIn posts (marketing), and,
- in earlier contributions to the NPR/KQED education news site MindShift, the edtech news site EdSurge, and the tech news site TechFlash.
He is on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu and served on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style. In 2015, he’s scheduled so far at:
- SXSWedu 2015, March 9-12, Austin, TX, on the panel, “Reinventing Industry: Changing Edu’s ‘Big Three‘”
Follow @FrankCatalano on Twitter for updates on interesting education and crossover consumer technology.