Frank Catalano is a consultant to companies with digital learning initiatives in both the education and consumer technology markets. He is also an industry analyst, professional speaker and author.
Frank has provided creative and practical advice, and developed related strategies, for new initiatives on both a retained project and interim-executive basis. His Intrinsic Strategy consultancy clients have included Professional Examination Service, Apple, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, MetaMetrics, Corbis, Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door and the Toy Industry Association.
Frank Catalano’s latest analysis and writing on technology in and out of education:
- Why I’m staying with Comcast — even though it’s Comcast Not all cords should be completely cut. (GeekWire)
- Seattle nonprofit Enlearn tackles thorny task: Personalize school with technology From buzzword to reality? (GeekWire)
- No more coffees with startups: 3 ways they waste everyone’s time No stated purpose, no way. (GeekWire)
- Can you count to $2 billion? Education technology investment hits new record And yet, edtech remains weird. (GeekWire)
- Paper is back: Why ‘real’ books are on the rebound Sales numbers and human factors mean paper and eBooks coexist. (GeekWire)
- Preserving the future: A rare glimpse inside the EMP Museum vault Conserving our visions of the future? Hard. (GeekWire)
- Scientific literacy: Buried under tech’s trappings Blame STEM hype, iPhone worship and geek culture. (GeekWire)
Advice and insights
Frank Catalano’s blog includes summaries of, and links to, his writing. His analysis and commentary also appears:
- in his GeekWire column (tech),
- in his LinkedIn posts (marketing & business), and,
- in contributions to the NPR/KQED education site MindShift, the edtech news site EdSurge, and the tech news site TechFlash.
He is on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu and served on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style. In 2015, he’s scheduled so far at:
- SXSWedu 2015, March 9-12, Austin, TX, on the panel, “Reinventing Industry: Changing Edu’s ‘Big Three‘”
- Ed Industry Summit (Educational Technology Industry Network of SIIA), May 3-5, San Francisco, CA
And Frank will be attending:
- ISTE 2015 (International Society for Technology in Education), June 28-July 1, Philadelphia, PA
- GeekWire Summit, October 1-2, Seattle, WA
Follow @FrankCatalano on Twitter for updates on interesting education and crossover consumer technology.