Frank Catalano is a hands-on strategist for companies applying digital technology to education. He is also a well-known tech industry analyst, professional author and speaker.
As a consultant, his Intrinsic Strategy clients included a wide variety of startups, as well as Professional Examination Service, Apple, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, MetaMetrics, Corbis, Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door and the Toy Industry Association.
Frank Catalano’s latest analysis and writing on technology in and out of education:
- Edtech fads, trends — and extra-credit myths My New Zealand keynote presentation, notes & bonus myths.
- Education technology: Your cheat sheet to 10 fads, trends, and WTFs Jargon-free edtech for the rest of us. (GeekWire)
- Ignore the critics: The world needs more Tomorrowlands In defense of pop culture scientific optimism. (GeekWire)
- Amazon’s ‘any device’ edtech strategy It’s about the app, tool, and digital content, not a specific brand of hardware.
- Conducting with Kinect: Seattle Symphony to use Microsoft’s sensor in world premiere “Classical” it isn’t. (GeekWire)
- Five steps to deal with your geek child’s adulthood After raising them, tips for parents. (GeekWire)
- Can you count to $2 billion? Education technology investment hits new record And yet, edtech remains weird. (GeekWire)
Advice and insights
Frank Catalano’s blog includes summaries of, and links to, his writing. His analysis and commentary also appears:
- in his GeekWire column (tech),
- in his LinkedIn posts (marketing & business), and,
- in contributions to the NPR/KQED education site MindShift, the edtech news site EdSurge, and the tech news site TechFlash.
He is on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu and served on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style. In 2015, he’s scheduled at:
- EdTech for Export (et4e) 2015, June 18, Wellington, New Zealand, for the closing keynote.
- ISTE 2015 (International Society for Technology in Education), June 28-July 1, Philadelphia, PA, on, “Digital Footprints: How Student Privacy and Identity Walk Hand-in-Hand.”
- Clarion West fundraiser, July 28, Seattle, WA, interviewing “Cory Doctorow in Conversation.”
- Sasquan World Science Fiction Convention, August 19-23, Spokane, WA, as a program participant.
- GeekWire Summit, October 1-2, Seattle, WA
- Education Industry Summit (Educational Technology Industry Network of SIIA), May 3-5, San Francisco, CA, on the sessions, “On the Internet, Every Product Looks the Same” and “Fad, Trend, or It’s Complicated?” and as 2015 CODiE Awards host.
- SXSWedu 2015, March 9-12, Austin, TX, on the panel, “Reinventing Industry: Changing Edu’s ‘Big Three‘.”
Follow @FrankCatalano on Twitter for updates on interesting education and crossover consumer technology.