Technology and education have their share of industry conferences (see this EdSurge “field guide” to some of edtech’s most prominent).
In the normal course of a year, you’ll find Frank Catalano attending several — often to speak about trends in tech or edtech, or to provide lively moderation of a PowerPoint-free session, but always to learn.
In addition to speaking at industry gatherings, Frank has keynoted corporate large-group (such as Blackboard Transact’s annual conference) or small-group (such as Acer America’s Education Advisory Council) events with thoughtful, well-researched and engaging custom talks.
In 2015, Frank spoke at:
- GeekWire Summit, October 1-2, Seattle, WA on science fiction and the future of technology.
- Sasquan World Science Fiction Convention, August 19-23, Spokane, WA, on panels about writing, science, and social media.
- Clarion West fundraiser, July 28, Seattle, WA, interviewing “Cory Doctorow in Conversation.”
- ISTE 2015 (International Society for Technology in Education), June 28-July 1, Philadelphia, PA, on, “Digital Footprints: How Student Privacy and Identity Walk Hand-in-Hand.”
- EdTech for Export 2015, June 18, Wellington, New Zealand, for the closing keynote (video).
- Education Industry Summit (Educational Technology Industry Network of SIIA), May 3-5, San Francisco, CA, on the sessions, “On the Internet, Every Product Looks the Same” and “Fad, Trend, or It’s Complicated?” and as 2015 CODiE Awards host.
- SXSWedu 2015, March 9-12, Austin, TX, on the panel, “Reinventing Industry: Changing Edu’s ‘Big Three’.”
A sampling of Frank’s earlier industry speaking engagements:
- Moderator and speaker at ATP’s 2014 Innovations in Testing conference in Scottsdale, AZ, about how digital credentials are evolving education and workforce environments (audio).
- Host of the Software and Information Industry Association’s annual education division CODiE Awards in San Francisco from 2010 to 2014 (2014 video).
- Keynote participant for the Association of American Publishers preK-12 Learning Group’s 2014 Content in Context conference in Washington, D.C., on open educational resources (audio).
- Panelist at EdNET from 2012 to 2014 as part of the closing Catbird Seat analyst session (2014 video).
- Speaker at the 2013 conferences of the American Board of Nursing Specialties and Institute for Credentialing Excellence on digital credentials.
- Moderator of the 2013 Content in Context conference closing session, “Remaking the Page in the New-Media Age.”
- Moderator at SXSWedu 2013 of “From Legacy to Uncertainty: the Digital Future of the Major ‘Textbook’ Publishers.”
- Speaker at the Software and Information Industry Association’s 2012 Ed Tech Industry Summit on edtech myths.
- Keynote for the Education Industry Association 2011 EDVentures conference on marketing in a downturn.
- Speaker and moderator for MIT Enterprise Forum’s Obstacles and Opportunities for Entrepreneurs in Education.
Examples of Frank’s recent corporate event speaking:
- Acer Education Advisory Council 2014 meeting in San Jose, CA, on how data in education have moved from being isolated, to connected, to active.
- Morning keynote for the BbWorld Transact 2012 conference on five overarching K-20 trends to watch in education technology.