Frank Catalano is a long-time edtech industry analyst, professional author, and keynote speaker. He’s also a hands-on consulting strategist for companies applying digital technology in new ways.
Frank is a columnist for the tech news site GeekWire on the digital intersection of media and tech, and also writes about education technology. In addition, he hosts a special GeekWire podcast series on pop culture and the arts.
Through Frank’s Intrinsic Strategy consultancy, he does interim executive or project work for companies such as MetaMetrics, Apple, McGraw-Hill, Corbis, Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door, the Toy Industry Association, and a wide variety of startups.
Frank has been a senior executive for Pearson Education, West Corporation’s Education group (SchoolMessenger solutions), and Professional Examination Service, among others.
Selections of Frank Catalano’s most recent GeekWire writing on technology and related topics include:
- How this workshop creates some of the world’s top sci-fi and fantasy writers, inside a Seattle house
- Listen up: Digital audiobooks now the ‘fastest growing format’ as tech and titles improve
- More than paint on a wall: Hands-on with VR and AR in art museums from Chicago to Seattle
- Is your private online content really private? Not if you do something stupid
- From virtual reality to ebooks, the future of digital media in schools is a total toss-up
- Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and tech’s battle for the hearts and classrooms of teachers
- Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited, ‘book stuffing,’ and the darker side of being a digital content consumer
- ‘New magic’ at Disneyland: How the iconic theme park is enhancing its content with digital touches
- Can you go paperless on an overseas trip? The Geek’s Guide to International Travel, 2018 Edition
Advice and insights
- in his GeekWire contributions,
- in his LinkedIn posts, and,
- in contributions to the NPR/KQED education site MindShift, the edtech news site EdSurge, and the tech news site TechFlash.
He currently serves on ACTNext‘s Advisory Board. He also served on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu from 2012 to 2016 and was on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style.
You can follow @FrankCatalano on Twitter for updates on interesting education and crossover consumer technology.