Frank Catalano is a veteran edtech industry consultant and executive, professional author, and lively speaker. He’s also a hands-on advisor for companies applying digital technology in new ways.
Currently, Frank is the director of EdSurge Intelligence, a new membership service from EdSurge providing real-time market intelligence on companies, product categories and emerging trends from early childhood through adult learning. Through his Intrinsic Strategy consultancy, he has also done interim executive or project work for companies such as MetaMetrics, ACT, Pearson, and more.
Frank has been a senior executive for Pearson Education, West Corporation’s Education group (SchoolMessenger solutions), and Professional Examination Service, among others.
As a contributor to the tech news site GeekWire and the education technology resource site EdSurge, Frank has written about edtech, the digital intersection of media and tech, and other topics. He’s also hosted a special GeekWire podcast series on pop culture, science fiction and the arts.
Selections of Frank Catalano’s writing on technology and related topics include:
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? An Opinionated Guide to Changing Edtech Industry Conferences
- Analysis: Is higher ed ready for the tech expectations of the teens of 2022?
- Returning to journalism, 30 years later: Can the profession’s standards survive its disruption?
- Analysis: Microsoft, Google, Apple — why is Amazon the lagging tech giant in the classroom?
- Interview: NYPL’s chief digital officer says public is better off when libraries are ‘risk averse’ about tech
Advice and insights
Frank Catalano is a frequent public speaker, known for his engaging, witty and thoughtful style. Recent public talks include:
- The closing keynote at the Software and Information Industry Association’s EdTech Industry Conference in San Francisco
- The tech products thought leader kickoff at NACS Campus Market Expo (CAMEX) 2019 conference in San Antonio
- A presentation on teens and tech at CoSN 2019 in Portland
- The Seattle Opera behind-the-scenes panel on turning Steve Jobs’ life into opera
Frank serves on ACTNext‘s Advisory Board. He also served on the Advisory Board of SXSWedu from 2012 to 2016 and was on the Advisory Board for the inaugural SXSWV2V.